Travis Harvard Whitney

Travis Harvard Whitney

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Travis Harvard Whitney was born in Indiana on 22nd June, 1875. He graduated from Harvard Law School in 1903, was assistant secretary of the young New York City Citizens Union.

Whitney married Rosalie Loew, attorney in chief of the New York Legal Aid Society, in 1903. The couple practiced law as Loew & Whitney. Over the next few years Rosalie gave birth to Travis Jr. (1904), John (1905), and William (1907). Loew was Jewish and according to her biographer, Dorothy Thomas: "It is known that she converted to Protestantism, although records of the details are not available. The Whitneys may not have been wholly estranged from her family: Travis gave a speech in synagogue, and in the 1930s, Rosalie helped her parents’ relatives resettle in the United States."

In 1933 Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia appointed him as an official of the Civil Works Administration as part of the program brought in by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to tackle the problem of unemployment. At the time he was very ill and his doctor told him of the necessity of rest and probably of an operation. "I think I can last," he told his doctor.

The journalist Heywood Broun, remembers receiving a telephone call from Whitney: "He called up to say that if the Newspaper Guild would furnish him a list of unemployed reporters he thought he could place some under the CWA." Broun went to see him straight away: "We expected to find an office and an office boy and probably a couple of secretaries, but Whitney had a desk thrust right in the middle of a large and bustling room.... The tall, gaunt man with deep-sunken eyes... sat there and rode the tumult like a city editor."

Broun wrote in It Seems to Me (1935) that Whitney realised that he was very ill but he insisted on working: "Unquestionably this shambling, thin man peering a little dubiously through glasses had a concern. It was a passion. I suppose it is a little difficult to make paper work seem as exciting or romantic as cavalry charges. But you see he had found his moral equivalent for war."

Travis Harvard Whitney died on 8th January, 1934, after complications from emergency surgery for a bleeding ulcer.

William James said that mankind must find a moral equivalent for war. Blow, bugles, blow, and let us put a ribbon with palms upon the breast of Travis Harvard Whitney. No soldier could have been more gallant than the man who crumpled at his desk in the Civil Works Administration. Before he would submit to being taken to the hospital where he died, Whitney insisted on giving directions to his assistants as to how the work should go on. He was torn with agony but it was his commitment to put two hundred thousand men and women back to work. This was just something which had to be done.

I saw him once, and in the light of his death I am not likely to forget. He called up to say that if the Newspaper Guild would furnish him a list of unemployed reporters he thought he could place some under the CWA.

"When do you want to see us" I asked.

"Come down now," he answered.

We expected to find an office and an office boy and probably a couple of secretaries, but Whitney had a desk thrust right in the middle of a large and bustling room. He sat there and rode the tumult like a city editor. There were no preliminaries of any kind. The tall, gaunt man with deep-sunken eyes began by asking: "Now when do I get that list?"

I've heard so much about red tape and bureaucracy that I didn't suppose he meant immediately. "It will take a little time," I told him. "We haven't got a very big clerical force or much office space, and of course John Eddy will have to check up on the names for you. Let me see - this is Thursday - suppose we get you that list a week from Saturday and then on Monday we can really begin to get to work on it."

He indicated impatience. "That won't do at all," he said. "You don't understand. This is a rush job. Every day counts. Can't you let me have part of the list the day after tomorrow? This ought to be done right away. Can't you call me on the phone tonight?"

"Where can I get you after dinner?" I asked. "Right here."

"How late?"

"I can't tell. I'll be here until I finish."

Travis Whitney made good that promise. He worked all day and he worked all night. He knew he was critically ill when he took the appointment. Doctors had told him of the necessity of rest and probably of an operation. "I think I can last," was his rejoinder.

And he set himself to win that race. Two hundred thousand jobs before the end came. I think it was Lord Nelson who had an ensign lash him to a mast at the battle of Trafalgar. Whitney's courage was better than that. He chained himself to his desk by a sheer act of will.

The people around could see him grow dead gray in the late hours. Almost you could hear the step of his adversary advancing. But all he said was, "We must hurry." He felt not only the pangs of his own physical torture but the bite of the wind upon the bodies of men who walked the streets without shelter.

I don't know what the economic philosophy of Travis Whitney may have been. He didn't have time to talk about it. "Some day" just couldn't fit into his scheme of things. His thought was of two hundred thousand jobs which must be made and handed out without delay. He had the harassed look of a flapjack cook in a lumber camp. "Right away" rang in his ears like a trumpet call. Maybe somebody came and said to him, "But don't you realize that you're not solving anything? This is just a temporary expedient. When the revolution comes..."

And I imagine Travis Whitney turned a deaf ear and only said, "Two hundred thousand jobs and this has got to be now."

He couldn't make the life force last until he had surged across the line. They put him on his shield and carried him away, and I hope that on his tomb will be written "Killed in action."

Unquestionably this shambling, thin man peering a little dubiously through glasses had a concern. But you see he had found his moral equivalent for war. And I rather think that when next I hear the word "heroism" my immediate mental association will not be that of any brass hat on a hill but of Travis Whitney bent over his desk. And maybe I will see him as a man against the sky. And I will hear him as he says, "More gently, death, come slower. Don't touch me till my job is done."

Whitney’s “mistakes”

So, on the show Whitney was talking about her regrets over the mistakes she’s made. It’s a known fact that Whitney was taken from her parents by CPS, so my sisters and I were speculating that possibly Whitney was the one who turned them in for being negligent parents. Thoughts?

At what age was she removed?

My foster children always blame themselves for their removal. They don’t describe it as a mistake though, the wording is usually “it was my fault”.

I am dying to know what it is. Anybody know?

I think the "mistake" was falling in love and accepting the world view of her foster parents.

My understanding of what happened with Whitney and her bio parents comes from reading Reddit so yake it with a large grain is salt but:

Whitney's parents are fundie and she and her siblings grew up that way. The kids were removed from the bio parent's home by child protective services for an unknown reason. Whitney was placed with foster parents who were not fundie. She grew comfortable with her foster parents and loved them but also dropped some of the religious teachings from her bio family. When Zach and Whitney met and got married, Whitney wasn't talking to her bio parents so it was her foster parents who went to the first wedding. Since then things have flipped. Her relationship with her bio parents is back in full swing and her relationship with her foster parents is non existent. This vow renewal was much more about having her bio parents be a part of her wedding than anything else.

The History and Future of Operations

It’s time to rethink what we mean when we talk about “operations.” Operations is not only about manufacturing. Operations is and has always been what gives an organization the power to act: to create value for its customers to capture value for its shareholders and to share value with its ecosystem. In the era of ubiquitous digital technologies, operations empowers an increasing variety of organizations, ever more modular, connected, and distributed, ever more centered on software and data.

The field of operations has gone through some major evolutions over its history. Growing out of the industrial revolution of the late 1800s, the field took off as the modern economy emerged from the new phenomenon of volume manufacturing. Innovators like Eli Whitney (he of the cotton gin) led the way with the popularization of manufacturing systems that transformed an artisan economy based on “filing and fitting” parts.

Newly popular notions of “interchangeable parts” were first applied to the design of muskets and enabled a new breed of industrialists to invent and hone a modular system of production, in which individual components could be manufactured independently and at scale. This gradually led to the concepts of logistics, supply chains, and assembly lines, and formed the foundations of the “American System of Manufacturing,” which grew during the first half of the 20 th century and peaked during the 1950s and 60s. In the first half of the twentieth century, operations was focused only on manufacturing. (In fact, at one time Harvard Business School offered practical classroom demonstrations on the use of lathes and milling machines.)

Insight Center

The Future of Operations

In the 1960s, the field of operations research exploded, developing a broad variety of analytical methods to analyze and optimize the flow of goods and information in manufacturing systems. Use of these methods spread beyond manufacturing to a variety of service contexts, ranging from banks to electric utilities. This led to the establishment of service management and service operations as core subjects in the operations field. The evolution continued during the 1980s and 1990s, as new generations of digital technology began to revolutionize the fundamentals of operating excellence and extend the field to the management of companies delivering software-based products and services. Yes, Microsoft and Yahoo! needed operations too.

From its earliest days, digital technology has enabled operations. After all, the management of information has always been the key to operating excellence. Whether we optimize forecasts through operations research at Nike or order inventory through Toyota’s Kanban system, operating capabilities hinge on managing and optimizing digitized information. And from the days of the first commercial IBM mainframes in the late 1950s, computers have driven increasing efficiency in manufacturing and service institutions.

So, what is different now? The recent ubiquity of digital technology and its exploding range of applications in web services, mobile, and now the internet of things means that the development and delivery of software services is starting to transform the very fabric of our business and operating environments. If the essence of operations is providing economic agents with “the power to act,” digital technology is transforming the nature by which that power is defined and delivered. Increasingly, the design and delivery of software services is the entirety of a firm’s operating environment. Whether we design the new Ford Mustang, a new financial investment product, or the next version of Snapchat, the bulk of the organization’s operating capabilities are software-based. As such, the design, management, and deployment of software has become central to a firm’s operating model.

Digital technology is also enabling completely new operating models that are increasingly open, distributed, and shared across thousands of organizations and individual contributors. These new models have enabled close to 9 million independent developers to contribute apps to the iOS and Android mobile platforms. They’ve enabled Uber’s 2,000 internal employees to manage the complex logistics of 200,000 drivers. And they’ve enabled WhatsApp to grow to over 450,000 users with fewer than 30 employees. As such, the design of development tools, operating system APIs, or the user onboarding process for a mobile application have become as crucial to operating excellence as production planning or inventory theory.

And yet, as operating models rely increasingly on digital networks connecting people and organizations to enable their “power to act,” traditional notions of operations strategy and supply chain management are more crucial than ever. In a huge ecosystem of organizations, for example, supply chain management becomes increasingly critical to the buildup of data center infrastructure. Moreover, digital technology is becoming increasingly ubiquitous as the traditional analog and digital worlds merge. Not only do old firms need to understand relatively new digital technology, but relatively new firms (see Microsoft, Google, and Amazon) need to understand and master traditional operating concepts.

So let’s not equate the field of operations with the American system of manufacturing. Silicon Valley also needs the power to act.

T6 Harvard History

This aircraft is known by so many names including the Mosquito, The Window Breaker, The Pilot Maker and many more. There are so many variations in models it gets confusing as so many countries operated this aircraft as the primary fighter trainer. Below very short history of the T-6 Harvard to make things a little clearer. In 1937, the North American NA-26 prototype won a competition for a basic combat trainer for the USAAC, and, in due course, it went into production as the BC-1. Little could North American Aviation know how famous and numerous its new trainer would become, with demand for it spurred on by the urgent needs of WW2. The aircraft was produced in several versions and it flew with many arms, with production continuing long after WW2. The metal-framed BC-1 had a metal skin on wings and tail unit, fabric-covered control surfaces and mainly fabric-covered fuselage. There was a Pratt and Whitney R-1340 9 cylinder Wasp radial up front, and an inwardly retracting undercarriage.

Below – T6 Harvard Wacky Wabbit landing at Duxford December 2020 runway 24 with the wind 200/20 knots

Production of the T6

North American’s rapid production of the T-6 Texan coincided with the wartime expansion of the United States air war commitment. As of 1940, the required flights hours for combat pilots earning their wings had been cut to just 200 during a shortened training period of seven months. Of those hours, 75 were logged in the AT-6. U.S. Navy pilots flew the aeroplane extensively, under the SNJ designation, the most common of these being the SNJ-4, SNJ-5 and SNJ-6.

The North American T-6 Texan two-place advanced trainer was the classroom for most of the Allied pilots who flew in World War II. Called the SNJ by the Navy and the Harvard by the British Royal Air Force, the AT-6 (advanced trainer) was designed as a transition trainer between basic trainers and first-line tactical aircraft. It was re-designated T-6 in 1948.
In all, the T-6 trained several hundred thousand pilots in 34 different countries over a period of 25 years. A total of 15,495 of the planes were made. Though most famous as a trainer, the T-6 Texan also won honours in World War II and in the early days of the Korean War.

The Texan was an evolution of the company’s BC-1 basic combat trainer, which was first produced for the U.S. Army Air Corps with the fixed landing gear in 1937 under a contract that called for 174 planes. North American Aviation designed the NA-49 prototype as a low-cost trainer with all the characteristics of a high-speed fighter.

Although not as fast as a fighter, it was easy to maintain and repair, had more manoeuvrability and was easier to handle. A pilot’s aeroplane, it could roll, Immelmann, loop, spin, snap and vertical roll. It was designed to give the best possible training in all types of tactics, from ground strafing to bombardment and aerial dogfighting. It contained such versatile equipment as bomb racks, blind flying instrumentation, gun and standard cameras, fixed and flexible guns, and just about every other device that military pilots had to operate.


First Flight (NA-49): Sept. 28, 1938
Span: 42 feet 1/4 inch
Length: 28 feet 11-7/8 inches
Seating: Tandem
Power plant: Pratt & Whitney Wasp R-1340-AN-1 550 horsepower (later uprated), air-cooled
Speed: 205 mph at 5,000 feet
Crew: Pilot, co-pilot
Landing gear: Retractable
Propeller: Controllable pitch

British interest in the Texan design was piqued as early as 1938 when it ordered 200 under the designation Harvard Mk I or “Harvard As Is” for service in Southern Rhodesia training under the Commonwealth Air Training Program. As the Harvard Mk I (5,000+) design was modelled after the early BC-1 design, the subsequent Harvard Mk II utilised the improvements of the AT-6 models. In 1944, the AT-6D design was adopted by the RAF and named the Harvard MK III. This version was used to train pilots in instrument training in the inclement British weather and for senior officers to log required airtime. Much to the chagrin of the Air Force High Command, the Harvard “hack” was often used for non-military activities like joy-riding and unofficial jaunts across the English countryside.

So many different variations

SNJ-1 versions of the BC-1 went to the US Navy, while deliveries of the BC-1s to the RAF started in December 1938, these aircraft being called Harvard 1s by British Commonwealth air forces. The BC-1A, and subsequent versions, had a revised rudder shape, blunt wingtips and a metal-covered fuselage, with one exception, which had a wooden fuselage. There was the AT-6B, then came the AT-6C (SNJ-IV and Harvard 2A) which was redesigned with, among other changes, a wood rear fuselage in case of strategic material shortages during WW2. But there were no shortages and the standard structure was reverted to later on. There was also the AT-6D/SNJ-5/Harvard III, which with AT-6A and C versions and their SNJ and Harvard equivalents formed the basis of nearly all WW2 contracts.

During 1946, the Canadian Car and Foundry company developed the Harvard Mk IV trainer to the specifications of the T-6G and produced 285 T-6Js under the same design for the USAF Mutual Aid Program. Designated the T-6G, the Texan saw major improvements in increased fuel capacity, an improved cockpit layout, as well as a steerable tailwheel. U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy forces in the Korean War modified the Texan under the LT-6G designation and employed it in combat for forward air control of propeller and jet-powered strike aircraft. Spain utilized the armed T-6 in combat during the Sahara conflict for patrol and counter-insurgency operations. France made extensive combat use of armed T-6 aircraft during the Algerian conflict. Although the U.S. retired the T-6 from active duty by the end of the 1950’s, several nations, including Spain, South Africa, Brazil, China, and Venezuela, utilized “the pilot maker” as their basic trainer well into the 1980s. Today, over 600 T-6 Texans remain in airworthy condition. Most of the former “hacks” are based in North America and are a reminder of the importance of simplicity in training and function. *History by James A. Jensen and Wikipedia

T6 Harvard Aviation T-6 (J)

Our beautifully restored aircraft are considered to be T-6Js as they were built to the US T-6G specification and leased out on long term loans under the MDAP scheme. See the history drop-down menu for G-BUKY and G-BJST for more information. As History shows our aircraft were used extensively after WW2 during the 1950s and 60s to help train pilots from all over the world including the newly reformed German Luftwaffe!

If you would like to experience the thrill of flying the genuine ‘Pilot Maker’ email us for more information or take a look at our flight experience page on the T6 Harvard Services drop-down menu where you will be directed to our partners ‘Classic Wings’


The Richard Whitney ( -May 4, 1798) house is located at present-day 77 Pinnacle Road. The house is an altered center-chimney Federal style architecture built in 1727 and is listed in our Local Register of Historic Places (HRV-169) as well as the Massachusetts Historical Commission’s MACRIS.

From our National Register of Historic Places Criteria Statement:

The Whitney House is a well-preserved early house that underwent an important expansion early in the 19th century. The farm was established during the colonial period, the home of one of Harvard’s most accomplished citizens. The house was originally a center-chimney house which has been expanded and reoriented to its seven-bay, hip-roofed, Federal-style form in about 1812. The Whitney House meets criteria A and C at the local level. It retains integrity of location, setting, design, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association.


We begin with some excerpts from Nourse’s “History of Harvard” written in 1894 on Richard Whitney and his property in Harvard.
In 1731, Richard Whitney was one of nine petitioners from the area of Harvard known as “Stow Leg. ” Stow Leg was a horizontal band of land, located just north of Harvard’s mid-section, which ran from the Nashua River in the west to the Littleton border in the east. Richard owned a tract of two hundred acres which was incorporated into the newly created town of Harvard in 1732.

We begin with Nourse’s description of the ‘Petitions for a Township’ around 1731 wherein nine settlers including Richard Whitney of the then ‘Stow Leg’ asked to be included in the incorporation of the town of Harvard.

“In Stow Leg, estimated at 3740 acres, Jonathan Rand is set down as “nutor.” The petitioners were: John Daby, Jacob Gates, Shadrack Hapgood, Jonas Houghton, Samuel Mead, John Taylor, Thomas Wheeler, Jonas Whitney, Richard Whitney.” (ref: pg. 57)

In 1746, Richard and Hannah divided their land between their sons Richard, Jr. and Josiah. This structure, dated 1727, may have been constructed by Richard the elder. Several sources concur that Josiah Whitney (1731-1806) occupied this property following his first marriage to Sarah Farr in 1751. Following his wife’s death, he married Sarah Dwelly in 1774.

Here is Nourse: On September 2, 1746, as his family grew and matured, Richard Whitney “…divided a tract of two hundred acres between his sons Richard, Jr., and Josiah. The latter in Revolutionary days was Harvard’s most noted and influential citizen colonel of a state regiment, brigadier-general after the war, and leader of the majority in town politics. The general’s dwelling stood nearly opposite the present alms house, until torn down in 1869, after it had served the town for forty-five years as a home for its paupers.” (ref: p. 95)


The Whitney house (shown in the map above with a red star) is located on the west side of Pinnacle Road, between Old Littleton Road and Park Lane . The internal rafter system reveals that this structure originated as a two-and-a-half-story, five-bay, center-chimney Colonial. This clapboard-sheathed structure faced west throughout the 18th century, since the road passed to the west of house.

Circa 1812, the house was reoriented towards the east, updated stylistically with Federal architectural ornamentation, and enlarged in the following manner: two bays were added to the right lateral wall the gable roof was altered to a hip roof and a gabled wall dormer was constructed above the center three bays. The repositioned center entry was accented with side lights and fronted by a flat-roofed porch.

The enlarged structure measures seven bays in width and two bays in depth a new chimney was added to heat the new right bays. The symmetrically fenestrated facade is lit with shuttered 6/6 sash windows and an ocular window lights the central dormer. The side entry, located in the first pile of the left lateral wall, is sheltered beneath a Victorian-era, brace-supported door hood. Late-19th-century alterations include a polygonal bay window positioned in the right rear corner. A full-length shed dormer spans the rear slope.
In 1832, this property was held by an R. Whitney, who may have been responsible for the 1812 renovation. According to the current owner [in 1994], the house was used as a summer residence throughout the 19th century and it remained in the same family. Ownership passed from C. F. Stone in the 1870s to G. Pettingill during the turn of the century.

The building was recently expanded via a two-story addition which projects from the left half of the rear facade. Federal-era architectural ornament consists of the ornate tracery of the ocular window and side lights, and the Doric columns and modillioned cornice of the entry porch.

A three-bay, clapboard-sheathed carriage house with a salt-box profile stands independently to the left of the house. Each of the three segmented arch openings contains a double batten door. The property’ s narrow set back is fronted by a post-and-rail fence and a mature deciduous tree stands to the left of the house. As the property slopes to the rear, the rear lawn is contained by a field stone retaining wall.


According to a May 21 1750 report of the “…Committee to Seat the meeting house, each man and wife in following order….In the fourth seat in the front. William Whetcombe, Lemuel Willard, Phineh Brown, Richard Whitney, John Peirce, Jeremiah Priest. …gives us a reasonably complete report of the taxpayers of Harvard at the middle of the eighteenth century.” …and of Richard Whitney’s place in that society.

And, similarly in 1766, “…The Second Seat of the Front. Solomon Samson, Ens. Gordon Hutchins, Richard Whitney, Josiah Whitney, Jonathan Clark, Silas Rand, Joseph Willard.”

In January 1775, we find Richard in the Fore Seat, Front Gallery and his son, Richard, Jr., in the Side Gallery Pew.

Other than some notes involving Richard, Jr., in the operation of the new Evangelical Congregational Church, Nourse notes the two brothers: Richard, Jr., and Josiah serving in the Second Worcester regiment of militia. Colonel Josiah as the commander and his brother serving with 13 other men from Harvard in the battle of Quaker’s Hill in Rhode Island in the summer of 1778.

“The first meeting of the promoters of the Social Library was at the centre school-house, and the signers of the call were: Edmund Foster, Joseph Fairbank, Manasseh Sawyer, Amos Fairbank. Elijah Dwinnel, Francis Farr, Alexander Dustin, Joseph Willard, Jr., Richard Whitney, Ephraim Warner. Their organization was effected under the provisions of the act passed March 3, 1798, giving library associations authority to acquire and manage property.” (ref: pg. 384) This was Richard, Senior in 1793, just five years before he was deceased.

Richard, Jr., served on the Board of Selectmen in 1799 and 1800.

Josiah had a distinguished military career during the Revolutionary War, rising to the rank of brigadier general in 1783. He enlisted in 1755 and was a member of a company that marched against the French and Indians at Crown Point. He attained the rank of lieutenant-colonel in 1775, commanding eleven companies, containing 560 volunteers. The following year he was placed in command of the defense of Boston Harbor, where he was stationed in Hull, Mass.

Following his military career, the governor appointed him a justice of the peace for Worcester County. He served Harvard as a town moderator and as a member of the board of selectmen in 1783, 󈨘, and 󈨛-9. In 1788, he was named a delegate from Harvard to the convention for the ratification of the Federal Constitution. He voted with the minority, opposing the Constitution. He also served as a state representative in 1780, 󈨕, and 󈨛-89. None of Josiah’s sons remained in Harvard.

GENERAL JOSIAH WHITNEY (Richard, Richard, Richard, John), born in Stow, Mass., Oct. 12, 1731 married in Stow, Sept. 9, 1751 to Sarah FARR, who was born Jan. 19, 1735 and died in Harvard, Mass., Apr. 21, 1773 He married a 2d time in Harvard, Feb. 3, 1774, to Sarah DWELLY, of Bridgewater. He died in Whitingham, Vt. on Feb. 18, 1817.

The citizen of Harvard who held the highest military rank during the Revolutionary war was Col. Josiah WHITNEY. He was at that time the town’s most noted and influential citizen and the leader of the majority in town politics.

He was born in Stow, the youngest son of Richard and Hannah (WHITCOMB) WHITNEY, his mother being a near relative of the veteran military leaders Col. Asa and Gen. John WHITCOMB. Sept. 2, 1746, his parents deeded to him land in Harvard, which he occupied soon after marriage. He inherited a fondness for military affairs, and when about his majority he entered upon what later proved a most brilliant military record. (ref: “The Decendents of John Whitney” by Frederick Clifton Pierce, Chicago 1895)

Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney's Heirs Are Back on the Board at the Family’s Spanking-New Museum

To revist this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories.

From left: Flora and Fiona Donovan, Flora Miller Biddle, and Flora Irving, with a Robert Henri portrait of their forebear Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, at the Whitney’s new location. Painting: Robert Henri, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney. Oil on canvas, 50″ × 72″: Whitney Museum of American Art, New York/Gift of Flora Whitney Miller/ © Estate of Robert Henri Photographed by Annie Leibovitz, Vogue, June 2015

To revist this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories.

The Whitney has always been a family affair. “My mother left me the museum,” Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney’s daughter Flora Whitney Miller once declared. “She said I could keep it, or sell it. I decided to keep it.” Four generations of Whitney women have served as presidents or board members of the Whitney Museum of American Art over the past 100 years, as it grew from a small, private club into a major public institution. Relations between the museum and the family began to sour, however, when the trustees fired longtime director Tom Armstrong in the early nineties, and in the last dozen years, for the first time, there were no Whitneys on the board. Now, as the museum begins its new life in its seductive and beautifully scaled Renzo Piano–designed building in downtown Manhattan, the breach has been healed by its current director, Adam Weinberg. The Whitney family is back in the fold.

A month before the gala opening of the new Whitney, I spend an afternoon with Gertrude’s granddaughter Flora Miller Biddle and great-granddaughter Fiona Donovan. Biddle, white-haired but still youthful at 86, is dressed informally in slacks and sneakers aristocratic and soft-spoken, she has an infectious laugh and a quietly self-deprecating manner. Donovan, who is in her 50s and wearing jeans and a sweater, shares her mother’s ease and lack of pretension.

Take a video tour of the new Whitney Museum with curator Dana Miller:

We’re about to have lunch in Donovan’s modestly comfortable Park Avenue apartment, where touches of family history abound. Small bronze sculptures—some of which were models for the monumental works that established Gertrude’s surprising reputation as a serious artist—are on tables and pedestals. A row of mustache cups with built-in shelves to protect gilded-age facial hair adorns the glass-fronted cupboard: “All my life, I thought they were Italian majolica,” Biddle says, “until [the artist] Richard Tuttle came for dinner and told me these were made in New Jersey.”

Donovan serves soup in monogrammed, robin’s egg–blue Wedgwood bowls that came from Whileaway, the 175-foot yacht that belonged to Gertrude’s husband. “The h.p.w. stands for Harry Payne Whitney, my grandfather,” says Biddle. “I don’t think Gertrude went on it very much, to tell you the truth. It was more his thing.”

Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney became an artist in spite of her birthright. Wealthy beyond measure—her father was the railroad baron Cornelius Vanderbilt II—she married a man who was equally rich. But the life of a society hostess with houses in New York City, Newport, Aiken, and elsewhere was never enough for her restless spirit. While her husband cruised, played polo, and dallied with other female companions, Gertrude—who had lovers of her own—took courses at the Art Students League of New York and established her own studio in Greenwich Village in 1907, where she went on to produce such large-scale commissions as Washington, D.C.’s, Titanic Memorial and Cody, Wyoming’s, Buffalo Bill monument. “She could have been moving to Bulgaria,” Weinberg observes. “It was so radical a move then for somebody like that to be hanging out with a truly bohemian crowd.” Six years earlier, Gertrude had written in her journal, “I pity above all that class of people who have no necessity to work. They have fallen from the world of action and feeling into a state of immobility and unrest . . . the dregs of humanity.”

new Whitney Museum of American Art nyc

Photo: Steven N. Severinghaus

While working as a sculptor, Gertrude met most of the artists of New York’s Ashcan School. She acquired a building on Eighth Street and later opened the Whitney Studio (which became the Whitney Studio Club) as a gallery and meeting place. “My grandmother started showing the art of the people who lived in the neighborhood, which most of the artists did then,” Biddle says. She never intended to create a museum, and unlike Peggy Guggenheim or Isabella Stewart Gardner, Gertrude did not consider herself a collector. To help the artists, though, she bought works from nearly every show.

When, in 1929, Gertrude offered to give the approximately 600 works she owned to the Metropolitan Museum of Art—and the Met haughtily turned her down—these works became the basis of the Whitney Museum of American Art.

Gertrude died, at age 67, in 1942 and bequeathed the museum to her oldest daughter, Flora Whitney Miller—Biddle’s mother. Tall, beautiful, and exquisitely dressed by Chanel and Balenciaga, Miller was devastated by her mother’s death and felt unequipped to lead the Whitney. “Mum was not the same kind of person as Gertrude,” her daughter tells me. “Gertrude was really quite determined. She wanted success. She wanted commissions. My mother wasn’t driven in that way.” Miller did, however, keep the museum running with large infusions of her own money, overseeing a move uptown and expanding the Whitney’s board with non–family members, including, in 1962, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy.

After Miller stepped down as president, she wanted her daughter, who served on the board, to succeed her. Biddle was living in Connecticut with her first husband and four children, and she refused. One evening, at a dinner party in Norwalk, she met Victor and Sally Ganz, important collectors of Picasso and contemporary artists. “After dinner, Victor cornered me and proceeded to come down on the Whitney like a ton of bricks,” Biddle says. “He said we had every opportunity to be a great museum: This was America’s moment in contemporary art, and the Whitney wasn’t looking. We hadn’t bought the best artists when they were young and cheap, and we’d probably never be able to catch up now.” (In its loyalty to the prewar American artists it had championed from the start, the Whitney had missed out on major works by Robert Rauschenberg, Jasper Johns, and many other rising American artists.) “In spite of my distress,” she continues, “his words stayed with me through all that followed in the next years.”

Biddle did become the Whitney’s president in 1977. Working closely with Tom Armstrong, the buoyantly energetic director, she addressed the challenges of embracing contemporary art. To run the museum and build up a postwar collection required more resources than her much-depleted share of the Vanderbilt-Whitney fortune could provide, so she threw herself into the job of big-time fund-raising, even riding in the trunk of a circus elephant on Madison Avenue in a nationally publicized stunt to help raise $1.25 million for the museum to buy the world-famous Calder’s Circus.

Biddle also befriended artists and staff members at the museum. She was particularly close to the curator Marcia Tucker, who eventually went on to found the New Museum. “We were like sisters,” Biddle recalls. When Tucker decided to get a tattoo, Biddle went along, and came out with a bluebird on her right hip.

Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney and daugthers Barbara and Flora early 1990s

Biddle stepped down as chair in the mid-nineties, increasingly frustrated by the museum’s direction. Her daughter Fiona Donovan remained on the board until 2003. “I see us as emerging from each other, fitting together like those Russian matryoshka dolls,” is how Biddle characterizes the family’s generational connection with the Whitney. As a child, Fiona had no particular interest in the museum. It wasn’t until a sophomore year spent in Paris that she fell in love with the Louvre, the Orangerie, and the history of art. “A year later,” Donovan says, “I started my life at the Whitney the same way my mom did, as a volunteer on the membership desk.” She went on to get her Ph.D. in art history at Columbia, published a book on Rubens, and has just finished one on Jasper Johns.

The family’s renewed involvement has a tangible influence. Whitney curator Chrissie Iles describes it as “a sense of intimacy, which brings a special meaning to the relationship with artists that began with Gertrude.” Laurie Simmons, whose work is hanging in the new building’s inaugural show, says, “All the Whitney women I’ve met have a quiet elegance and grace and modesty, yet the idea of a matriarchy is always there. You get the feeling it just is, and will continue to be, in perpetuity.”

Since becoming director in 2003, Weinberg has ushered in an era of good feeling. One of his main priorities was to solve the Whitney’s need for more space his efforts led to the move from Madison Avenue’s 1966 Marcel Breuer building to the dazzling new premises at the base of the High Line. In addition to bringing Donovan back to the board last November, Weinberg has also sought Biddle’s advice and counsel on the museum’s future, and has welcomed a fifth generation of Whitney women—two more Floras: Donovan’s daughter, a 21-year-old Wesleyan student who has interned for a summer at the Whitney, and niece, 27-year-old Flora Irving, who works at the Calder Foundation and is on the executive committee of the Whitney Contemporaries group.

“The important thing about the Whitney women is that they are doers, not figureheads,” says Weinberg. “They participate, they know the artists, they know the staff, they know the programs, and they’re not self-congratulatory.” The three women who founded the Museum of Modern Art—Abby Aldrich Rockefeller, Lillie P. Bliss, and Mary Quinn Sullivan—were all collectors, but Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, that adventurous and contrary spirit, was a maker of art. The museum she founded was an extension of her studio, a community, a place for artists. And the Whitney is still the artists’ museum—as the sculptor Charles Ray said recently, “My alma mater.”

Howard G. Cushing portrait of Gertrude whitney 1902

Photo: Whitney Museum of American Art, New York Gift of Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney

Biddle and Donovan were at the gala opening on April 20, along with 400 of the Whitney’s closest friends, including a generous helping of artists. Biddle, who wore her grandmother’s lorgnette necklace and her mother’s gold bracelet with an Eisenhower charm on it, was seated at dinner between Jasper Johns and Renzo Piano. Michael Bloomberg and Adam Weinberg both singled her out in their speeches. “When we first decided to move downtown, Flora said the Whitney is an idea . . . never merely a building,” Weinberg said. “Thank you, Flora, for giving us this clarity, for trusting us to continue the dream of your grandmother.” The applause was overwhelming.

Sittings Editor: Phyllis Posnick
Hair: Bok-Hee Makeup: Sally Branka Production Design: Theresa Rivera for Mary Howard Studio

Hassler Whitney

Hassler Whitney's father was Edward Baldwin Whitney, a judge, and his mother was A Josepha Newcomb. Edward's father was William Dwight Whitney who was a linguist and one of the foremost Sanskrit scholars of his time, noted especially for his classic work, Sanskrit Grammar (1879) . Josepha's father was Simon Newcomb who has a biography in this archive. Certainly Hassler had two very famous grandfathers.

Whitney attended Yale University where he received his first degree in 1928 , then continued to undertake mathematical research at Harvard University from where his doctorate was awarded in 1932 . His doctorate was awarded for a dissertation The Coloring of Graphs written under Birkhoff's supervision. Whitney was a keen mountaineer all his life and he made a particularly famous climb while an undergraduate. His grandson James writes:-

Harvard made Whitney a full professor in 1946 and he held this professorship until he accepted an offer from the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton of a professorship in 1952 . After Whitney and his wife were divorced he married Mary Barnett Garfield on 16 January 1955 they had two children, Sarah Newcomb Whitney and Emily Baldwin Whitney.

Banchoff, reviewing [ 2 ] , writes:-

Whitney's doctoral thesis was on graph theory, in particular making a major contribution to the four colour problem. Following this he published a number of papers on graph theory such as A theorem on graphs (1931) , Non-separable and planar graphs (1932) , Congruent graphs and the connectivity of graphs (1932) , The coloring of graphs (1932) , A numerical equivalent of the four color map problem (1937) .

Other work on algebraic varieties and integration theory was important. He published the book Geometric integration theory In 1957 which describes his work on the interactions between algebraic topology and the theory of integration. After an introduction, the chapters of the book are:-

This topic had been the subject of the lecture which Whitney gave to the International Congress of Mathematicians, held in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1950 . His second book Complex analytic varieties was published in 1972 .

In addition to research at the frontiers of mathematical research, Whitney was also interested in mathematics teachings in schools. Zund writes [ 8 ] :-

Outside mathematical research and teaching mathematics Whitney contributed in many ways to his subject. He was chairman of the National Science Foundation mathematics panel from 1953 until 1956 . He was editor of the American Journal of Mathematics from 1944 to 1949 , then editor of Mathematical Reviews from 1949 until 1954 . He was honoured by being elected to the National Academy of Sciences ( United States ) in 1945 , and he was also elected to the Academy of Sciences ( Paris ) and the Swiss Mathematical Society. He was American Mathematical Society Colloquium Lecturer in 1946 and he was vice-president of the American Mathematical Society from 1948 to 1950 .

Ulam writing about Whitney said:-

Two years later he was awarded the Steele Prize.

After Whitney was divorced from his second wife he married Barbara Floyd Osterman on 8 February 1986 . He was nearly 79 years old at the time of his third marriage.


Harvard is very fortunate to have had its own history documented by a scholar and historian, Henry S. Nourse in his book “History of Harvard, 1732 – 1893” which was commissioned by Warren Hapgood. Later, Ida A. Harris updated Nourse’s history in her mansuscript “History of Harvard, 1850-1940“. (Her husband, Walter designed the crest for the Historical Society. They lived at 15 Old Littleton Road in the 1930 – 1940’s.) And finally, Robert C. Anderson wrote “Directions of a Town: A History of Harvard, Massachusetts” which brings the history up to date through to the 1970’s.

These three histories have been our only references for over a century. No other history of Harvard had ever been written that we knew of. Recently, a good friend John Zimmer brought Peter Whitney’s book to my attention. It is titled ‘Worcester County: America’s First Frontier’ which was written in 1793!

Reprinted in 1983, Blaine E. Taylor reviews Whitney’s work in an introduction:

“When Peter Whitney decided to record the story of every town in Worcester County he probably had no idea that his work would mark the beginning of a new way to write American history. Neither could he realize that his book would be one of the first to record the story of America’s [first] western frontier.

This history, a wonderfully detailed and stimulating document, has never received the attention it deserved, probably because it was so different from all historical writing up to that time. Whitney, despite the fact that he was a minister, simply reported the facts as he found them, without much interpretation, and without making any attempt to trace their theological or philosophical meanings. Every colonial history up to the time contained hundreds of pages of philosophical speculation and theological interpretation. Facts were often missing if they didn’t fit the author’s understanding of God’s plan. Events were emphasized if they seemed to be providential. For instance, Thomas Prince, for whom the town of Princeton was named, began his CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY OF NEW ENGLAND with the creation of the world, and he died, many pages, volumes, and years later, before he reached the year 1631!”

So, Whitney’s history of Worcester County is a ‘first’… it was one of the first history books written in a modern manner. But more important to us in Harvard, is that Whitney’s book includes a very interesting history of our town. At times, he establishes the foundation for Nourse’s words that would be written a century later in 1894 and in other cases, he presents the detail that Nourse did not include in his history.

I transcribed Whitney’s history of Harvard by using our modern grammar and spelling of our English language. Written in the late 18th century, Peter Whitney’s English is of course the Old English of the colonial era. I did leave some colloquial wording where I felt it helped establish the period of the writing. Here is an excerpt from Peter Whitneys book which is his history of Harvard.

7 Fascinating Facts About Elvis Presley

1. Elvis had a twin.
On January 8, 1935, Elvis Aron (later spelled Aaron) Presley was born at his parents’ two-room house in East Tupelo, Mississippi, about 35 minutes after his identical twin brother, Jesse Garon, who was stillborn. The next day, Jesse was buried in an unmarked grave in nearby Priceville Cemetery.

Elvis, who spoke of his twin throughout his life, grew up an only child in a poor family. His father, Vernon, worked a series of odd jobs, and in 1938 was sentenced to three years in prison for forging a $4 check (he spent less than a year behind bars). In 1948, the Presleys moved from Tupelo to Memphis in search of better opportunities. There, Elvis attended Humes High School, where he failed a music class and was considered quiet and an outsider. He graduated in 1953, becoming the first member of his immediate family to earn a high school diploma. After graduation, he worked at a machinist shop and drove a truck before launching his music career with the July 1954 recording of “That’s All Right.”

2. Elvis bought Graceland when he was 22.
In 1957, Elvis shelled out $102,500 for Graceland, the Memphis mansion that served as his home base for two decades. Situated on nearly 14 acres, it was built in 1939 by Dr. Thomas Moore and his wife Ruth on land that once was part of a 500-acre farm dubbed Graceland in honor of the original owner’s daughter, Grace, who was Ruth Moore’s great-aunt. The Moores’ white-columned home also came to be known as Graceland, and when Elvis purchased the place he kept the name.

The entertainer made a number of updates to the property over the years, including the addition of music-themed iron entrance gates, a “jungle room” with an indoor waterfall and a racquetball building. After finding out President Lyndon Johnson enjoyed watching all three network news programs simultaneously, Elvis was inspired to have a wall of built-in TVs installed in his home. In 1982, five years after Elvis was found dead in a bathroom at Graceland, his ex-wife Priscilla Presley opened the estate to the public for tours. Some 600,000 fans now flock there each year. Elvis’ only child, Lisa Marie Presley, inherited Graceland when she turned 25 in 1993 and continues to operate it today.

In 2006, George W. Bush became the first sitting U.S. president to visit Graceland, when he traveled there with Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, a die-hard Elvis fan.

Elvis and Colonel Tom Parker (Credit: GAB Archive/Redferns)

3. Elvis’ controversial manager, Colonel Tom Parker, was a former carnival barker.
Born Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk in the Netherlands in 1909, Elvis’s future manager immigrated illegally to America as a young man, where he reinvented himself as Tom Parker and claimed to be from West Virginia (his true origins weren’t known publicly until the 1980s). He worked as a pitchman for traveling carnivals, followed by stints as dog catcher and pet cemetery founder, among other occupations, then managed the careers of several country music singers. In 1948, Parker finagled the honorary title of colonel from the governor of Louisiana and henceforth insisted on being referred to as the Colonel.

After learning about the up-and-coming Elvis in 1955, Parker negotiated the sale of the singer’s contract with tiny Sun Records to RCA, a major label, and officially took over as his manager in 1956. Under the Colonel’s guidance, Elvis shot to stardom: His first single for RCA, “Heartbreak Hotel,” released in 1956, became the first of his career to sell more than 1 million copies his debut album, 𠇎lvis Presley,” topped Billboard’s pop album chart and he made his big-screen debut in 1956’s “Love Me Tender.”

The portly, cigar-chomping Parker controlled Elvis’ career for the next two decades, helping him achieve enormous success while at the same time taking commissions of as much as 50 percent of the entertainer’s earnings and drawing criticism from observers that he was holding Elvis back creatively. Parker outlived his protégé by 20 years, dying in 1997 at age 87 in Las Vegas.

4. Elvis served in the Army after he was already famous.
In December 1957, Elvis, by then a major star, was drafted into the U.S. military. After receiving a short deferment so he could wrap up production on his film “King Creole,” the 23-year-old was inducted into the Army as a private on March 24, 1958, amidst major media coverage. Assigned to the Second Armored Division, he attended basic training at Fort Hood, Texas. That August, while still at Fort Hood, he was granted emergency leave to visit his beloved mother, who was in poor health. Gladys Presley passed away at age 46 on August 14, 1958. The following month, Elvis shipped out for an assignment with the Third Armored Division in Friedberg, West Germany, where he served as a jeep driver and continued to receive stacks of fan mail.

While in Germany, he lived off base with his father and grandmother Minnie Mae Presley. It was also during this time that Elvis met 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu, the daughter of a U.S. Air Force captain. (After a lengthy courtship, Elvis and Priscilla married in 1967 the couple divorced in 1973.) Elvis was honorably discharged from active duty in March 1960, having achieved the rank of sergeant. His first post-Army movie, “G.I. Blues,” was released that November of that same year. The film’s soundtrack spent 10 weeks at the top of the Billboard album music chart and remained on the chart for a total of 111 weeks, the longest of any album in Elvis’ career.

5. Elvis never performed outside of North America.
An estimated 40 percent of Elvis’ music sales have been outside the United States however, with the exception a handful of concerts he gave in Canada in 1957, he never performed on foreign soil. A number of sources have suggested that Elvis’ manager, Colonel Parker, turned down lucrative offers for the singer to perform abroad because Parker was an illegal immigrant and feared he wouldn’t be allowed back into the U.S. if he traveled overseas.

Elvis’ second appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” October 26, 1956.

6. Elvis was burned in effigy after an appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”
In the summer of 1956, Colonel Parker arranged a deal for Elvis to make three appearances on “The Ed Sullivan Show” for a then-whopping fee of $50,000. Although Sullivan previously had said he wouldn’t book the hip-swiveling, lip-curling singer on his family-oriented TV variety show, he relented after competitor Steve Allen featured Elvis on his show in July 1956 and clobbered Sullivan in the ratings. When Elvis made his first appearance on Sullivan’s program on September 9, 1956, 60 million people—more than 80 percent of the TV viewing audience—tuned in. (As it happened, Sullivan, who had been injured in a car accident that August, was unable to host the show.) After the singer made his second appearance in October, crowds in Nashville and St. Louis, outraged by the singer’s sexy performance and concerned that rock music would corrupt America’s teens, burned and hanged Elvis in effigy.

Travis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms

The name Travis is from the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name was given to a person who was a person who collected a toll from travelers or merchants crossing a bridge. This common practice had the purpose of providing financial resources to maintain the upkeep of the bridge. The surname Travis is derived from the Old English words travers, travas, traves, and travis. These are all derived from the Old French nouns travers and traverse, which refer to the act of passing through a gate or crossing a river or bridge. [1]

Alternatively the name could have originated in Normandy at Trevieres, between Bayeux and Caen. "The name continued in Normandy, where Ranulph de Chnchamp, after 1138, assumed the name of Travers." [2]

"In the time of the Conqueror, Robert de Travers or d'Estrivers, Baron of Burgh-upon-Sands, married the daughter of Ranulph de Meschines, Lord of Cumberland, and the sister of Ranulph Bricasard, who succeeded his cousin Richard d'Abrincis as Earl of Chester in 1119. He received from his father-in-law the office of Hereditary Forester of Inglewood in fee, which passed through his only child, Ibria, to Ralph de Engayne. This forestership of Inglewood was so honourable, and gave so great command, that there is no wonder the family should wish by every means to set forth their claim to it" [3]

Set of 4 Coffee Mugs and Keychains

$69.95 $48.95

Early Origins of the Travis family

The surname Travis was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, at Mount Travers, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.

The Manor of Skelmerdale in Lancashire proved to reveal some interesting details about the family. According to the Domesday Book, it was originally held by Uctred, who also held Dalton and Uplitherland. Later it was part of the forest fee, held by the Gernet family. "The first of them known to have held it, Vivian Gernet, gave Skelmersdale and other manors to Robert Travers these were held in 1212 by Henry Travers under Roger Gernet." [4] The manor passed on to the Lovels, but they lost it later after the forfeiture in 1487.

Other early records include Walter de Travers who was listed in Hodgson's History of Northumberland in 1219 and two listings in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273: Hugh Travers in Lincolnshire and Nigel Travers in Buckinghamshire. Later the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 listed Robertus Trauers. [5]

The township of Nateby was an early home to this distinguished family. "This township is said to have been in the tenure of the family of Travers, of Tulketh, so far back as the reign of Henry I. Laurence Travers, who lived soon after that reign, was succeeded by eleven generations, and Nateby appears in possession of William Travers in the reign of Elizabeth." [6]

Coat of Arms and Surname History Package

$24.95 $21.20

Early History of the Travis family

This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Travis research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1590, 1578, 1614, 1609, 1614, 1548, 1635, 1594, 1598, 1525, 1522, 1532, 1770, 1834 and 1647 are included under the topic Early Travis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Unisex Coat of Arms Hooded Sweatshirt

Travis Spelling Variations

Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Travis family name include Travers, Traverse, Travis, Traviss and others.

Early Notables of the Travis family (pre 1700)

Notables of this surname at this time include: Sir Henry Travers of Monkstown Castle whose daughter married the Viscount Baltinglass and Walter Travers (1548?-1635), an English Puritan theologian, chaplain to William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, Provost of Trinity College, Dublin from 1594.
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Travis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Migration of the Travis family to Ireland

Some of the Travis family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 137 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Travis migration +

Some of the first settlers of this family name were:

Travis Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
  • Walter Travis, who settled in Virginia in 1637
  • Edward Travis, who landed in Virginia in 1637 [7]
  • Walter Travis, who arrived in Virginia in 1638 [7]
  • Thomas Travis, who landed in Virginia in 1666 [7]
  • Daniel Travis, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1680 [7]
  • . (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Travis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
Travis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
  • James Travis, aged 25, who arrived in St Louis, Missouri in 1847 [7]
  • Albert Travis, who settled in San Francisco, California in 1850
  • John Holland Travis, who settled in New Castle Co. Del. in 1856
  • Michael Travis, aged 40, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1867 [7]
  • Moses Travis, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1872 [7]
  • . (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)

Travis migration to Australia +

Emigration to Australia followed the First Fleets of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:

Travis Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
  • Mr. James Travis, (b. 1817), aged 18, British Labourer born in Manchester who was convicted in Chester, England for 7 years for stealing clothing, transported aboard the "Asia" on 5th November 1835, arriving in Tasmania ( Van Diemen's Land)1836 [8]
  • Miss. Ann Travis, British Convict who was convicted in Manchester, England for 7 years, transported aboard the "Asia" on 9th March 1847, arriving in Tasmania ( Van Diemen's Land) [9]
  • Charlotte Travis, aged 17, a servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Taymouth Castle" [10]
  • Elizabeth Travis, aged 23, a housemaid, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Taymouth Castle" [11]

Travis migration to New Zealand +

Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:

Travis Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
  • Mr. William Travis, (b. 1829), aged 27, British settler travelling from London aboard the ship "Joseph Fletcher" arriving in Lyttelton, Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand on 24th October 1856 [12]
  • Mrs. Sarah Travis, (b. 1833), aged 23, British settler travelling from London aboard the ship "Joseph Fletcher" arriving in Lyttelton, Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand on 24th October 1856 [12]
  • Mr. Edward Travis, (b. 1852), aged 4, British settler travelling from London aboard the ship "Joseph Fletcher" arriving in Lyttelton, Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand on 24th October 1856 [12]
  • Mr. William Travis, (b. 1853), aged 3, British settler travelling from London aboard the ship "Joseph Fletcher" arriving in Lyttelton, Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand on 24th October 1856 [12]
  • Miss Elizabeth Travis, (b. 1855), aged 1, British settler travelling from London aboard the ship "Joseph Fletcher" arriving in Lyttelton, Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand on 24th October 1856 [12]

Contemporary Notables of the name Travis (post 1700) +

  • George Travis (1741-1797), English divine, Archdeacon of Chester, only son of John Travis of Heyside, near Shaw, Lancashire
  • John Dean Travis (1940-2016), American politician, Louisiana State Representative (1984-2000)
  • Ryan Travis (b. 1989), American football fullback
  • Nancy Ann Travis (b. 1961), American actress, best known for her roles in films Three Men and a Baby (1987) and Three Men and a Little Lady (1990)
  • Debbie Travis (b. 1960), British television personality, self-taught interior decorator, and former fashion model, host of Debbie Travis' Facelift and Debbie Travis' Painted House
  • Michael Travis (b. 1993), South African footballer
  • Sergeant Richard Charles Travis VC, DCM, MM (1884-1918), New Zealand recipient of the Victoria Cross
  • William B. Travis (1809-1836), American Commander of the Texan forces at the Battle of the Alamo where he died
  • Scott Travis (b. 1961), American rock drummer, best known as the drummer for the English heavy metal band Judas Priest
  • Randy Travis (b. 1959), American country singer, who has sold over 25 million records, has 6 Grammy awards, 6 CMA awards, 9 ACM awards, 10 AMA awards, 7 Dove awards, and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • . (Another 38 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)

Historic Events for the Travis family +

Arrow Air Flight 1285
  • Mr. Theodore Travis (b. 1953), American Sergeant from Niagara Falls, New York, USA who died in the crash [13]
Halifax Explosion
  • Mr. William  Travis (1867-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the explosion [14]
  • Mrs. Maude  Travis (1870-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the explosion [14]
  • Mr. Frederick Thomas  Travis (1896-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who survived the explosion but later died due to injuries [14]
  • Master Albert E  Travis (1917-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the explosion [14]
  • Miss Irene  Travis (1906-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the explosion [14]

Related Stories +

The Travis Motto +

The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will many families have chosen not to display a motto.

Motto: Nec temere nec timide
Motto Translation: Neither rashly nor timidly.